Fed says raise hell over halibut

Dear sir,

Dear sir,

After seven frustrating years of consultation with DFO, briefs to the minister and facilitated round table discussions, the BC Wildlife Federation has joined the B.C. Sportfishing Coalition to fight a looming disaster in this years’ halibut fishing season.

The current minister has refused to correct the unfair, inadequate and, we suggest, illegal quota system that allocates only 12 per cent of Canada’s halibut Total Allowable Catch (TAC) to the public fishery, while conveying permanent ownership of remaining 88 per cent to a few hundred commercial harvesters.

This unbalanced allocation will, for the third year, result in closure of the public fishery while commercial harvesters continue to fish.

Halibut is not the only species to which DFO intends to unduly restrict public access. We are witnessing similar situations developing for prawns, crabs and salmon.

DFO has already allocated all of the allowable catch of Sablefish and geoduck to private interests.

The B.C. Wildlife Federation can only conclude the DFO intends to privatize all marine fisheries and severely restrict the public’s right to access these common property resources.

What is most disturbing about the giveaway of halibut quota is that fewer than half of the original recipients actually fish for halibut. Instead of these quotas being returned to the Crown and reallocated at a nominal cost to active harvesters and the public fishery, the vast majority of halibut quota is leased to other fishermen and provides windfall profits for the quota holders without them even stepping aboard a fishing vessel.

DFO should adopt a policy of “fish it or lose it” with respect to halibut quotas.

Instead, the non-fishing “slipper skippers” lease their quota to about 136 people who actually do fish halibut. Incredibly, these “slipper skippers” and their heirs get to do this forever at the expense of the resource owners.

BCWF does not accept this unbalanced allocation of the public’s resource.

Consultation with DFO has achieved little more than to keep this issue from public scrutiny.

It is time to take the issue of DFO privatization of our common property resources to the next level.

We encourage anyone who fishes or supports continued public ownership of marine resources to consult the website www.sfibc.com, attend the town hall meetings listed there, learn the facts, and send a personal message to the prime minister and your local MP.

BC Wildlife

Federation.

Just Posted

UPDATE: Kitimat pool and arena evacuated due to wrong mix of chemicals

Hazmat crew sent in to determine how dangerous scene is at the Sam Lindsay Aquatic Centre

Northern First Nations partnership reshaping government’s approach to reconciliation

Kaska, Tahltan and Tlingit First Nations share Premier’s Award for Innovation with ministry

New Coast Guard radar boosts marine traffic monitoring off B.C. coast

Six radar installations set up for Georgia Strait to Queen Charlotte Strait to Prince Rupert

B.C. Legions in need of young members to continue aiding veterans into the future

Lest we forget what thousands of men and women did to fight for Canada’s freedoms – but without new membership, many Legion chapters face dwindling numbers

Kitimat commits itself to the global fight against polio

Mayor Phil Germuth signs a proclamation

Winter weather hits parts of Canada

As some parts of the country brace for cold, parts of B.C. remain warmer than 10 C

B.C. teacher’s Amazing Race takes students on Canada-wide adventure

Agassiz high school students say they had the experience of a life time

Don’t sign USMCA until LGBTQ language excised, U.S. lawmakers urge Trump

The trade agreement, forged after 13 months of tense negotiations between Canada and the U.S. is scheduled for Nov. 30

US official: US intel says prince ordered Khashoggi killing

Vice-President Mike Pence told reporters that ‘the murder of Jamal Khashoggi was an atrocity.’

Canada’s health system commendable overall but barriers to care remain: UN

The United Nations says Canada’s health care system is “commendable” overall but vulnerable groups still face barriers to quality care.

Unique technology gives children with special needs more independent play

UVic’s CanAssist refined seven prototypes aided by $1.5M government contribution

Kelly Ellard’s boyfriend has statutory release revoked

Darwin Duane Dorozan had several parole infractions that found him ‘unmanageable’

Doctor’s note shouldn’t be required to prove you’re sick: poll

70% of Canadians oppose allowing employers to make you get a sick note

Most Read