Tammy Hascarl, centre, with son Dylan and daughter Danielle. The shooter’s hotel can be seen in the background. (Submitted)

Tammy Hascarl, centre, with son Dylan and daughter Danielle. The shooter’s hotel can be seen in the background. (Submitted)

Vegas shooting hits close to home for Nakusp family

Nakusp woman had attended Route 91 Harvest country music festival for last three years.

  • Oct. 2, 2017 6:13 p.m.

The horrific mass shooting in Las Vegas on Sunday hit close to home for a Nakusp woman.

Tammy Hascarl and her family had attended the Route 91 Harvest country music festival in the Nevada city for the last three years.

“We were just devastated, it was shocking,” says Hascarl, who works at a realtor’s office in Nakusp.

On Sunday night, 64-year-old Stephen Paddock opened fire on the crowd at the music festival from the 32nd story of a nearby hotel, killing at least 58 people and injuring more than 500 others. There’s no known motive for the shooting.

RELATED: B.C. man one of two Canadians killed in Las Vegas shooting

Hascarl said she went to the first Harvest festival three years ago, and every year since. The videos shared online from the scene of the shooting are from familiar places.

“When you see where people are jumping over fences, I know exactly where that is,” she told the Arrow Lakes News. “In one video that was actually a place we were sitting. I have pictures of us with the Mandalay Bay Hotel [the shooter’s hotel] in the background.”

And while they almost went again this year, she says last year’s event turned them off.

“There’s just so many people, people got kind of rude, it was not our kind of thing,” she said. “At first it wasn’t like that, but it just got bigger and bigger and bigger. Just too many people and people would not be very nice. They’d get in your face about things.”

After that experience, they decided not to go. And now she’s thankful she didn’t.

RELATED: B.C. couple ‘shaken but unharmed’ following Vegas mass shooting

“We are incredibly grateful. We were there with our kids, and our sister-in-law last year, and our son’s girlfriend,” she said. “We had thought about going this year again, but just thought ‘no, let’s go another time.’”

Two Canadians are confirmed dead in the shooting, a man from Maple Ridge, B.C. and a woman from Alberta.

Just Posted

Outside the Kitimat RCMP police station, Diversity Morgan’s family and Kitimat RCMP come together for a pride flag-raising ceremony. (Jacob Lubberts photo)
Kitimat RCMP host pride flag ceremony in memory of Diversity Morgan

“We’re gathered here in solidarity for anyone who’s ever experienced prejudice or discrimination”

(Haisla First Nation logo)
Haisla Nation host walk for strength and series of virtual sessions for Indigenous History Month

The purpose of the walk is to bring Haisla Nation members together and show their collective support

The District of Kitimat will be awarding business owners with a store front up to $5,000 to cover up to 50 per cent of exterior renovations. (Norhtern Development logo)
The District of Kitimat is awarding $5,000 to storefront owners for exterior renovations

The district has set aside $20,000 this year and non-profits are also eligible

Ron getting loose and sipping a glass of the family’s favourite greek amber spirit, Metaxa. (Photo supplied)
In Our Valley: Ron Lechner

Retired part-time singer and Rio Tinto lifer: Ron Lechner

Map of the road work that will be completed this summer. The streets highlighted in red are what the district planned on completing before additional funding, and the streets highlighted in orange is the road works that will be done with the additional funding. (District of Kitimat photo)
$1.1 million allocated for road work this year in Kitimat

Kitimat council has added $470,000 for more work by deferring four other projects.

Marco Mendicino, Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship during a press conference in Ottawa on Thursday, May 13, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick
Canada to welcome 45,000 refugees this year, says immigration minister

Canada plans to increase persons admitted from 23,500 to 45,000 and expedite permanent residency applications

Emily Steele holds up a collage of her son, 16-year-old Elijah-Iain Beauregard who was stabbed and killed in June 2019, outside of Kelowna Law Courts on June 18. (Aaron Hemens/Capital News)
Kelowna woman who fatally stabbed teen facing up to 1.5 years of jail time

Her jail sentence would be followed by an additional one to 1.5 years of supervision

Cpl. Scott MacLeod and Police Service Dog Jago. Jago was killed in the line of duty on Thursday, June 17. (RCMP)
Abbotsford police, RCMP grieve 4-year-old service dog killed in line of duty

Jago killed by armed suspect during ‘high-risk’ incident in Alberta

The George Road wildfire near Lytton, B.C., has grown to 250 hectares. (BC Wildfire Service)
B.C. drone sighting halts helicopters fighting 250 hectares of wildfire

‘If a drone collides with firefighting aircraft the consequences could be deadly,’ says BC Wildfire Service

A dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine is pictured at a vaccination site in Vancouver Thursday, March 11, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
NACI advice to mix vaccines gets varied reaction from AstraZeneca double-dosers

NACI recommends an mRNA vaccine for all Canadians receiving a second dose of a COVID-19 vaccine

A aerial view shows the debris going into Quesnel Lake caused by a tailings pond breach near the town of Likely, B.C., Tuesday, Aug. 5, 2014. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
Updated tailings code after Mount Polley an improvement: B.C. mines auditor

British Columbia’s chief auditor of mines has found changes to the province’s requirements for tailings storage facilities

A North Vancouver man was arrested Friday and three police officers were injured after a 10-person broke out at English Bay on June 19, 2021. (Youtube/Screen grab)
Man arrested, 3 police injured during 10-person brawl at Vancouver beach

The arrest was captured on video by bystanders, many of whom heckled the officers as they struggled with the handcuffed man

Patrick O’Brien, a 75-year-old fisherman, went missing near Port Angeles Thursday evening. (Courtesy of U.S. Coast Guard)
Search for lost fisherman near Victoria suspended, U.S. Coast Guard says

The 75-year-old man was reported missing Thursday evening

Most Read