Social media bomb scare targets MEMMS

RCMP take three youngsters into custody

Three youths were taken in custody by Kitimat RCMP after bomb threats were posted to social media on Monday morning.

RCMP media relations officer Cst. Kurtis Fink said police were notified by Mount Elizabeth Secondary School that images had been posted to social media suggesting the threat of a possible bomb at the school.

Fink said police along with school facilitators, Coast Mountain School District advisors, the RCMP Regional Explosives Unit and RCMP Explosives Dog Unit reviewed the text and images.

“With the information available, the school district and police jointly determined that the evacuation of the school was not required at this time. The other area schools were also advised of the threat,” said Fink.

He said shortly after receiving the images, police located and placed three youths who were taken into custody.

“Police will not be releasing the names of the youth nor matters that led to their arrests,” said Fink. “The RCMP treat threats towards schools and youth with the highest priority and the incident remains under investigation. Students and teachers can expect an increased police presence at all schools.”

He urged parents to contact police if their children become aware of threats being made on social media.

“That needs to be conveyed to police immediately – directly by the student, or through parents or teachers, or a trusted adult,” said Fink.

Coast Mountain School District replied to the Northern Sentinel with a letter that was sent to parents by school principal Geraldine Lawlor.

In the letter Lawlor said the school immediately activated its multidisciplinary violence threat risk assessment process which involves police and other key community partners.

“The threat was determined to be low risk and steps were immediately taken to address the concern and ensure appropriate supports were in place for all concerned,” said Lawlor in the letter.

“Multiple rumours and misinformation about the incident are continuing to circulate and are creating some uncertainty at the school. I want to assure you that all staff and students are safe.”

She said the school takes every precaution to ensure the safety of our students and staff and we take any reported act of violence very seriously.

“Police continue to work closely with us as we respond to this incident.

She invited parents to contact the school directly if they had any concerns.

Email the newsroom

Visit our Facebook page

Typos? Email the editor!

Just Posted

Former Burns Lake mayor gets two years for sexual assaults against minors

Banned from taking work involving young people for five years

Prince Rupert man who killed foster parents in 2017 receives three-year sentence

A Prince Rupert man convicted in the deaths of his foster parents… Continue reading

Rampage exercise their demons

Offence goes to work as Prince Rupert scores 6-3 win to even season series with Kitimat

Saved by his dog, rescued by the kindness of Kitimatians

Al Earl loses everything in a house fire

VIDEO: A brief history of bumps in the Trudeau-Trump relationship

Remember Peter Navarro saying ‘there’s a special place in hell’ for a foreign leader who aims to cheat?

Half of shoppers say they have no holiday spending budget

B.C. consumers surveyed estimate they will spend $921 this season

Man killed in crash due to ‘absolutely treacherous’ conditions on Coquihalla

Winter means icy roads are dangerous and drivers should be careful, RCMP say

Bag of cocaine left in B.C. grocery store aisle

RCMP: ‘We sure would like to talk to’ person who left drugs behind

RCMP officer was justified using hose in rooftop standoff: B.C. watchdog

Police watchdog finds officers actions reasonable when man injured in 2018 incident

Cannabis ice cream? Province prepares for B.C. Bud edibles

Mike Farnworth’s special police unit takes down dispensaries

Union for parole officers at B.C. halfway house says public safety at risk

Increase in parole officers’ workload dealing with highest-risk offenders raises concern

B.C. bans logging in sensitive Silverdaisy area in Skagit River Valley

Minister says no more timber licences will be awarded for the area, also known as the ‘doughnut hole’

Surrey fugitive captured in California was motivated by revenge, $160,000: court documents

Brandon Teixeira, charged with murder, wants to return to Canada ‘as soon as possible,’ says lawyer

Most Read