Parliament Hill. (Wikimedia Commons)

Security forces scramble as man approaches ceremonial guard on Parliament Hill

RCMP say Ottawa police are investigating

A 24-year-old man was taken into custody Monday morning in connection with an incident during the traditional Changing of the Guard ceremony on Parliament Hill.

The Defence Department said the incident took place at 10:15 a.m., around the time when Canadian Armed Forces members perform an almost daily ceremony that has been a colourful summer tradition on the Hill since 1959.

Any threat that may have been posed was halted due to the quick reaction of soldiers, the RCMP and the Parliamentary Protective Service, Defence officials said.

A video posted online showed several Mounties and protective service officers subduing someone on Parliament’s east lawn.

At one point in the video, an officer could be seen pinning the man’s neck to the ground with his arm while another tries to apply handcuffs.

Initial reports indicated that a knife may have been involved, but the Parliamentary Protective Service later clarified that “a small pocket knife was discovered in proximity to the subject following the arrest.”

Ottawa police said they had one man in custody late Monday afternoon, although no charges had been laid at the time and the man’s identity had not been released.

Police Chief Charles Bordeleau said he couldn’t comment on whether a weapon was involved.

“I don’t have those details,” Bordeleau told reporters at City Hall when asked about a knife.

“I believe all the Ceremonial Guards have weapons like knives. I don’t know if the suspect was armed with anything. Those are the details that the investigation will determine exactly what took place.”

A source within the Defence Department said there were no reported injuries to military personnel.

In a message posted on Twitter, Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan praised those involved in subduing the man and said he was glad no one was hurt.

“Relieved that no one was injured,” he wrote.

The department was treating Monday’s event as an isolated incident, with no reported plans to increase protections for military personnel or cancel Tuesday’s Changing of the Guard ceremony.

Security on Parliament Hill has been bolstered since a man with a gun went on a rampage in the Centre Block almost four years ago.

The Canadian Press


Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

Ice Demons get an early start on the ice

The players are determined to score wins in this year’s league.

Focus groups important for age-friendly policy

These results will drive the age-friendly action plan

Is it a car? Is it a buggy? Yes, all of the above

Riverbank cleanup nets some odd items

CMTN unveils renovated House of Cedar

$18.4M upgrade and renovation cited as key to modern trades training

Mobile complaint team coming to B.C.’s northwest

Ombudsperson’s office wants to hear from wronged residents

Environment Canada confirms Ottawa area hit by two tornadoes Friday

At one point more than 200,000 hydro customers were blacked out

Whitecaps see playoff dreams fade after 2-1 loss to FC Dallas

Goal in 87th minute seals Vancouver’s fate

B.C. students send books to displaced students of Hornby Island school fire

Maple Ridge elementary school teacher says students learned about acts of kindness

Trump drains oxygen from Trudeau foreign policy with PM, Freeland bound for UN

A lot has changed since the Liberals came to power in Canada in 2015

B.C. man fined $15,000, barred from trading securities for fraud

Larry Keith Davis used money from an investor to pay personal bills

Emergency crews investigate small sulphuric acid spill in Kootenays

IRM states a small volume of less than one cup and three dime-sized drips were leaked from carrier

Family, friends of B.C murder victim want killer sent back to max security facility

Group wants convicted murderer Walter Ramsay sent back to a maximum security facility

Most Read