Police probe ethnic vote scandal

A special prosecutor has been appointed to assess possible charges related to the B.C. Liberal Party's ethnic voter outreach efforts

Premier Christy Clark announces the Times of India Film Awards

VICTORIA – A special prosecutor has been appointed to assess possible charges related to the B.C. Liberal Party’s ethnic voter outreach efforts last year.

The RCMP and the criminal justice branch revealed Thursday that they are investigating a complaint of possible violations of the Election Act made in August. NDP leader Adrian Dix then announced that he made the complaint in a letter to police.

Vancouver lawyer David Butcher has been appointed to assess the potential for charges arising out of former B.C. government staffers’ plans to use government resources to build support for the B.C. Liberal Party before the May election.

Dix said in a statement the complaint related to allegations the NDP made in the legislature in July. Documents released after the election included an email from former government staffer Brian Bonney suggesting that a contractor be offered a job to keep her from releasing information damaging to Premier Christy Clark and the party.

Bonney left his government communications job days before a draft version of the ethnic outreach plan was leaked to the NDP in February. Clark’s former deputy chief of staff, who distributed the plan, resigned along with another staffer, and Richmond-Steveston MLA John Yap quit his cabinet post as minister of state for multiculturalism.

Clark’s spokesman Ben Chin said Thursday the government will “cooperate fully” with the investigation.

A review of the plan by senior public servants found that Bonney’s conduct and the hiring of a contractor to do political work were “serious breaches” of the oath taken by all government employees.

The plan focused on arranging government events for immigrant communities, and collecting lists of potential supporters for use by the B.C. Liberal Party in the election campaign.

 

Just Posted

Kitimat opens its arms, and its hearts, to wildfire evacuees

Emergency Social Services invites volunteers to apply

Massive ship arrives in Kitimat this weekend

The 26,890-ton heavy load carrier Transshelf will offload dredging vessels

Wildfire risk level still at extreme in Kitimat

Total ban on all open burning, including campfires and backyard fires remains in effect

Forest Practices Board audits Skeena Sawmills

Review and recommendations exercise result of random selection process

Ice Demons returning to CIHL for 2018-2019 season

Central Interior Hockey League will return with five teams after shrinking last season

PHOTOS: B.C. city wakes up to darkness under wildfire smoke

The rest of the province also dealing with thick haze as smoky skies continue

Safeway union urgest rejection of mediator recommendations

Says mediator asks for too many concessions

Fire chases B.C. crews out of their own camp

Crews in Burns Lake had to leave after a wildfire reportedly overtook their sleeping quarters

To address peacock problem, B.C. city moves ahead on trapping plan

Surrey’s new bylaw focuses on ensuring people no longer feed the birds, ahead of relocation

Hospitals to see ‘delays’ in care after losing Saudi students, health group says

About 1,000 Saudi residents called back to kingdom after suspending diplomatic relations with Canada

Bernier diatribe against ‘extreme multiculturalism’ boosts Liberal coffers

Party spokesperson Braeden Caley says online donations doubled, social media engagement quadrupled

‘Disjointed’ system hinders British Columbia First Nations in wildfire fight

More than 550 wildfires were burning in B.C. and crews were bracing for wind and dry lightning

Castlegar bridge designed by architect of collapsed Italian bridge

Riccardo Morandi designed the Kinnaird Bridge, which is part of Highway 3.

Federal government announces over $115 million to Royal Canadian Navy

Defence Minister Harjit S. Sajjan was at Victoria’s CFB Esquimalt to announce missile system upgrades

Most Read