Parents seek answers as Kitimat City High set to move into MEMSS

Parents attended a board of education meeting last week to seek answers regarding a decision to move Kitimat City High.

Parents of Kitimat City High students gathered at a recent Board of Education meeting in Terrace seeking answers relating to the anticipated closure and move of Kitimat City High to Mount Elizabeth Middle Secondary’s building.

The surprise decision left many parents upset and looking for answers.

Those parents don’t feel they found any at the last board meeting and now hope to get responses ahead of May’s board meeting.

And board Chair Art Erasmus said there is a possibility a special meeting may be held earlier to have a conversation with parents and students about the change. Otherwise the next chance to speak to the board is May 21.

“There’s going to be some continuing work on what’s happening with the program relocation at Kitimat City High,” said Erasmus “We’ve had some staff down in Kitimat to talk to students and parents and that happened yesterday [April 16].”

He noted that the board is not anticipating any budgetary benefit for moving the program to MEMSS and there has been no discussion on what to do with the KCH building, including any conversation to make it an employment training facility.

Among the parents at the last board meeting were Karen Jonkman and Susie Abreu.

Jonkman’s son is a recent graduate of KCH and she’s certain her son would never have succeeded at the mainstream high school.

“He was in Mount Elizabeth and it wasn’t a good fit for him. There’s no way he would have been able to do it without a program such as what they have [at KCH]. And that’s his words, not mine.”

She said the inability to speak to board members was “frustrating.”

“You expect that they would want to hear from the parents, especially in regards to making a decision like they made. But they made this decision without any consultation.”

Abreu, who has an autistic son at KCH, said the news of the change of the school was “devastating” to her family.

“I was so upset when I left [the meeting]. It’s hard when you have a child, it really affects them. I don’t want anything to happen to these kids.”

The change applies only to location and it’s planned that KCH programming will be run physically separate from MEMSS.

 

Just Posted

Outside the Kitimat RCMP police station, Diversity Morgan’s family and Kitimat RCMP come together for a pride flag-raising ceremony. (Jacob Lubberts photo)
Kitimat RCMP host pride flag ceremony in memory of Diversity Morgan

“We’re gathered here in solidarity for anyone who’s ever experienced prejudice or discrimination”

(Haisla First Nation logo)
Haisla Nation host walk for strength and series of virtual sessions for Indigenous History Month

The purpose of the walk is to bring Haisla Nation members together and show their collective support

The District of Kitimat will be awarding business owners with a store front up to $5,000 to cover up to 50 per cent of exterior renovations. (Norhtern Development logo)
The District of Kitimat is awarding $5,000 to storefront owners for exterior renovations

The district has set aside $20,000 this year and non-profits are also eligible

Ron getting loose and sipping a glass of the family’s favourite greek amber spirit, Metaxa. (Photo supplied)
In Our Valley: Ron Lechner

Retired part-time singer and Rio Tinto lifer: Ron Lechner

Map of the road work that will be completed this summer. The streets highlighted in red are what the district planned on completing before additional funding, and the streets highlighted in orange is the road works that will be done with the additional funding. (District of Kitimat photo)
$1.1 million allocated for road work this year in Kitimat

Kitimat council has added $470,000 for more work by deferring four other projects.

Marco Mendicino, Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship during a press conference in Ottawa on Thursday, May 13, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick
Canada to welcome 45,000 refugees this year, says immigration minister

Canada plans to increase persons admitted from 23,500 to 45,000 and expedite permanent residency applications

Emily Steele holds up a collage of her son, 16-year-old Elijah-Iain Beauregard who was stabbed and killed in June 2019, outside of Kelowna Law Courts on June 18. (Aaron Hemens/Capital News)
Kelowna woman who fatally stabbed teen facing up to 1.5 years of jail time

Her jail sentence would be followed by an additional one to 1.5 years of supervision

Cpl. Scott MacLeod and Police Service Dog Jago. Jago was killed in the line of duty on Thursday, June 17. (RCMP)
Abbotsford police, RCMP grieve 4-year-old service dog killed in line of duty

Jago killed by armed suspect during ‘high-risk’ incident in Alberta

The George Road wildfire near Lytton, B.C., has grown to 250 hectares. (BC Wildfire Service)
B.C. drone sighting halts helicopters fighting 250 hectares of wildfire

‘If a drone collides with firefighting aircraft the consequences could be deadly,’ says BC Wildfire Service

A dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine is pictured at a vaccination site in Vancouver Thursday, March 11, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
NACI advice to mix vaccines gets varied reaction from AstraZeneca double-dosers

NACI recommends an mRNA vaccine for all Canadians receiving a second dose of a COVID-19 vaccine

A aerial view shows the debris going into Quesnel Lake caused by a tailings pond breach near the town of Likely, B.C., Tuesday, Aug. 5, 2014. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
Updated tailings code after Mount Polley an improvement: B.C. mines auditor

British Columbia’s chief auditor of mines has found changes to the province’s requirements for tailings storage facilities

A North Vancouver man was arrested Friday and three police officers were injured after a 10-person broke out at English Bay on June 19, 2021. (Youtube/Screen grab)
Man arrested, 3 police injured during 10-person brawl at Vancouver beach

The arrest was captured on video by bystanders, many of whom heckled the officers as they struggled with the handcuffed man

Patrick O’Brien, a 75-year-old fisherman, went missing near Port Angeles Thursday evening. (Courtesy of U.S. Coast Guard)
Search for lost fisherman near Victoria suspended, U.S. Coast Guard says

The 75-year-old man was reported missing Thursday evening

Most Read