Northern Health Connections bus becomes available to seniors and people with mobility issues. (File photo)

Northern Health bus service resumes standard passenger eligibility

Patients with non-essential medical appointments can ride starting June 1

Northern Health (NH) Connections will return to standard passenger eligibility for the medical bus travel service on June 1 with the exception of persons travelling without a medical appointment.

In a press release this morning, the health authority announced the bus service will accept: patients with verified appointments for non-urgent medical procedures, such as chiropractors and massage therapists; discharges by health authority hospital staff; medically-necessary companions; staff and physicians (including health care students).

Previously, on March 20, NH restricted the service to patients with essential medical appointments including, but not limited to: “cancer treatment, hemodialysis, and appointments with specialist physicians, primary care physicians, appointments for physiotherapy, dentists, pharmacy, and trips to access a higher level of care such as surgery at the hospital.”

READ MORE: Coastal GasLink pipeline work ramps up

In addition to that, the service required passengers to book at least 48 hours in advance.

As of June 1, there will still be some restrictions, however.

The service will not accept passengers travelling without a medical appointment, including seniors (60+) and will continue to run with limited seating and enhanced safety measures until further notice. A maximum of 12 passengers will be allowed on a coach and a maximum of five on a minibus.

READ MORE: Restaurants grapple with reopening under new regulations

There are also some changes that the health authority implemented in its original COVID-19 response that will now be permanent including 48 hours advance booking, no walk-on passengers with no exceptions and anyone with COVID-19-like symptoms will not be allowed to travel.

Connections does have a plan to ease restrictions further and will do so in accordance with the “B.C. Restart Plan” the release said.

Reservations can be made online at nhconnections.ca or by phone (888-647-4997).



editor@interior-news.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Search and Rescue and RCMP investigate after abandoned kayak found on Kitimat River

KSAR and Kitimat RCMP confirmed the owner lost the recently-discovered kayak a couple of weeks ago.

Provincial COVID-19 data can now be used for B.C. to prepare for a second wave

In the past week, B.C. has seen a slight spike in daily test-positive case counts

Four air ambulance flights out of Terrace delayed or cancelled

Pandemic precautions caused nighttime closure of service station providing weather data to pilots

Skeena Resources, Tahltan prez excited by purchase of Eskay Creek

Skeena gets full control of mine, Barrick gets 12 per cent of Skeena and a one per cent royalty

Tamitik Status of Women granted $500,000 to support housing construction project

The funds will be used to support the construction of second stage and affordable rental housing.

B.C. records 62 new COVID-19 cases, two deaths since Friday

Province has just over 200 active cases

Canadians torn on scaling back COVID-19 benefits to save money: poll

Of those surveyed, 78 per cent said they were worried about the size of the deficit

‘Trauma equals addiction’ – why some seek solace in illicit substances

Part 2: Many pushed into addiction by ‘toxic stress,’ says White Rock psychologist

Hotel rooms for B.C. homeless too hasty, NDP government told

Businesses forced out, but crime goes down, minister says

Wage subsidy will be extended until December amid post-COVID reopening: Trudeau

Trudeau said the extension will ‘give greater certainty and support to businesses’

B.C. government prepares for COVID-19 economic recovery efforts

New measures after July consultation, Carole James says

Tree planters get help with COVID-19 protective measures

Ottawa funds extra transportation, sanitizing for crews

Trudeau apologizes for not recusing himself from WE decision

He says his and his family’s longtime involvement with the WE organization should have kept him out of the discussions

Most Read