A Kitimat resident is raising concerns over a BC Hydro manhole that houses wires and is currently filled with water. The unit in question is on Oersted St. and was installed to run wire from the service box to a house that was in need of more electricity.
Simon Cammish first raised concerns with BC Hydro after noticing that the lid was not on correctly and the box was beginning to fill with water.
“You can clearly see that it was installed improperly, it’s filled with water,” said Cammish during a visit to his property.
The manhole is currently full of water and spills out the sides of the lid but while there may be wires within the box, BC Hydro says it is safe.
“Even though this service box is currently full of water, we can assure you that there is no safety hazard present,” said BC Hydro spokesperson Bob Gammer. “The electrical connections are covered with a protective rubber layer meant for conditions such as this.”
The manhole has no drainage and the water inside has no way to escape. The issue with the service box is an incorrect lid.
“It appears that we are waiting for a replacement lid to come in after the wrong lid was initially ordered,” said Gammer.
Cammish wants to see this issue resolved and proper drainage installed. BC Hydro is currently reviewing what can be done for drainage at this particular site and there is no timeline as to when the issue will be fixed.