Photo of the apartment taken by a local Kitimat resident after the building was evacuated. (Photo From/Mike Wilson, Facebook)

Kitimat Fire Department responds to Banyay apartment fire

No injuries were reported and the fire was contained to a single unit on the fourth floor.

The Kitimat Fire Department tackled a blaze in Sandpiper apartments on Banyay Ave on the evening of Nov.29.

Members of the public reported hearing sirens around 4 p.m. as the Fire Department began responding to the fire.

The fire was contained in a single room on the fourth floor. The building was evacuated as a safety precaution for residents that lived in the apartment. There were no injuries reported in the fire.

“There was smoke damage to the upper and middle floor as well as water damage and we didn’t want people breathing it in,” said Kitimat Fire Chief Trent Bossence.

The building’s alarm system also had to be tested and as a result, the building was evacuated for the night. Residents of the building that have been displaced due to the fire are being placed in hotels and accommodations overnight.

The investigation into how the fire started will begin tomorrow, said the fire chief.