Update: Unattended cooking item to blame according to Deputy Fire Chief

Gyrfalcon Ave. fire leaves one person injured

The Kitimat Fire Department is investigating a fire that happened on Gyrfalcon Ave. During the late evening on Dec. 5. (Mike Anderson/Facebook)

The Kitimat Fire Department is investigating a fire that happened on Gyrfalcon Ave. During the late evening on Dec. 5. (Mike Anderson/Facebook)

Update:

Deputy Fire Chief Peter Bizarro says an unattended cooking item is to blame for the Gyrfalcon fire.

“An unattended boiling pot caused contents in the kitchen to ignite and it quickly spread throughout the kitchen,” says Bizarro.

He adds that the last three fires have been caused by unattended cooking materials.

“We were very fortunate we had a quick stop and we contained it to the first unit, it was getting close to working its way to the adjacent unit, we were able to knock it back and use some fire fighting tactics to prevent it from spreading,” he said.

The key takeaway from this, according to the Deputy Fire Chief, is that people should be mindful when cooking and not leave anything unattended.

The sole occupant of the unit was able to get out only sustaining minor injuries and was later released from the hospital.

Original story below:

One person was injured following a fire on Gyrfalcon Ave. during the late evening on Dec. 5.

Residents evacuated the home and the blaze was quickly extinguished by fire crews. The Kitimat Fire Department is currently investigating the cause of the fire, with an update expected later today.

“One occupant was at home at the time and did receive some minor injuries and received medical treatment,” said fire chief Trent Bossence.