Dix condemns Enbridge after scathing US report

The US National Transportation and Safety Board released their findings of Enbridge's handling over a 2010 oil spill in Michigan.

Sean Glanville

The US National Transportation Safety Board released their report on Enbridge’s handling of the massive June 2010 oil spill on the Kalamazoo River in Michigan Tuesday morning.

“Enbridge’s failure to exercise effective oversight of pipeline integrity and control center operations, implement an effective public awareness program, and implement an adequate post-accident response were organizational failures that resulted in the accident and increased its severity,” read the report.

Provincial NDP leader Adrian Dix was available to media for a conference call Tuesday to discuss the findings in regards to the proposed Enbridge Northern Gateway pipeline project. “The long term effects for the people of Michigan and the Kalamazoo River will be felt for a long time and have been serious in terms of health, the environment,  and the economy,” said Dix. “Here in BC those risks to us have to be part of the process.”

NTSB Chairman Debbie Hersman described Enbridge’s handling of the spill resembling the “Keystone Cops,” referring to the fictional early 20th century silent films featuring incompetent policemen.

The report takes direct aim at Enbridge for it’s poor handling of the Michigan spill which total cost has now exceeded more than $800 million US, by far the most costly spill on US soil. This prompted the US Dept. of Transportation to propose a $3.7 million fine earlier this month. When you do the math a $3.7 million fine on an $800 million spill is less than one percent of the total cost, and Enbridge still has the right to challenge the fine. This begs the question, Who will pick up the cost if a spill were to occur along the Northern Gateway pipeline?.

One of the major red flags was Enbridge’s internal warning systems failure which saw the pipeline leak for over 17 hours before a local gas utility worker alerted them. If a leak were to occur along the proposed Northern Gateway pipeline can BC residents expect a similar reaction time?

Dix also called on Premier Christy Clark and the BC liberal government to get off the fence regarding the pipeline. He was also dumbfounded as to why the Liberals chose not to present evidence to the joint review panel prior to the January, 2012 deadline, accusing them of ‘hoarding’ evidence .

“It’s not just that the liberal government of BC has failed to take a position, they actually missed the deadline for evidence,” says Dix.  “It seems unbelievable given the stakes for BC that a government has failed to take any steps to introduce evidence as to those risks.”

The NDP leader was adamant that despite missing the deadline, the evidence must still be presented.

“The BC government has simply been absent without leave,” says Dix. “It is not understandable to me how this can happen, even though they missed the deadline the evidence for BC has to be presented now.”

The focus of the US report is for stringent environmental regulations on pipelines while the provincial Liberals and federal Conservatives are lowering environmental standards. “We need more stringent and direct environmental regulations, what we have in this country is a government at the national level and here at the provincial level going in the opposite direction,” said Dix.

Dix referred to this easing of environmental standards at the national level, noting it was less than two years ago that a federal environmental review panel rejected Taseko Mines’s Prosperity project (gold-copper mine near Williams Lake) in November, 2010.

“In recent times we saw the environmental reviews over the Prosperity project and the higher standards at the national level than we do here in BC.”

The future is looking bright for the NDP as Monday’s Angus Reid poll has the NDP at 45 percent support in BC compared to 23 percent Liberal and 22 percent Conservative. Dix made it clear what the NDP would do about the pipeline if they emerge victorious in next year’s provincial election on May 14, 2013.

“If after the election we receive the support from the people of BC and win, the position for the government of BC would change the day after,” said Dix.

 

Just Posted

Construction of LNG Canada plant still on hold

Construction will only begin following a positive final investment decision

VIDEO: Watch ex-Kitimat video director Stephano Barberis’ new reel, featuring his own new music

Breathe of My Leaves music project debuts ‘Chimera’ album of electronic sounds

Sulphur dioxide pollution over Kitimat could be eliminated after 2024

New process will eliminate SO2 as a byproduct

Kitimat, Terrace home sales up from 2017

Optimism surrounding a potentially positive LNG decision one of the factors

B.C. Green Party pushes for wild salmon commissioner

The role would serve as a unifying force in the provincial government

VIDEO: Canadian Forces help flood-ravaged Grand Forks residents heal

Sgt. Bradley Lowes says the military is used to dealing with traumatic times

PHOTOS: Floodwaters rise and fall in Grand Forks

The flood-ravaged Kootenay-Boundary region begins to heal

Martin Mars waterbombers’ firefighting days are done

Wayne Coulson said his company still hopes to find a new home for the vintage aircraft

NHL playoffs weekly roundup

Vegas Golden Knights have done the impossible and have a chance at hoisting the Stanley Cup

Changes needed for ‘Alert Ready’ mass emergency system

‘You need to strike this careful balance between alerting people to lots of problems — and doing it too often’

Las Vegas Golden Knights move on to Stanley Cup final

Improbable run continues for NHL’s newest expansion team

Oregon’s flooded recreational pot market a cautionary tale to Canada

‘In a broader sense, we are adding legal production to an already robust illegal production’

Chilliwack Chiefs make history with first RBC Cup win

In front of a huge and noisy crowd, the Chiefs claimed their first-ever national junior A title

UPDATED: Majority of flood evacuees in Kootenay-Boundary allowed to return home

Officials hope to have all 3,000 people back in their homes by Monday night

Most Read