UPDATED: Two officers killed in New Brunswick shooting are identified

Four dead after shooting in Fredericton neighbourhood, with one suspect in custody.

Fredericton police have identified two police officers who were among four people killed in a shooting Friday in a residential area on the city’s north side.

Police Chief Leanne Fitch says the victims include Const. Robb Costello and Const. Sarah Burns and two civilians — a man and a woman — who remain unidentified.

Jackie McLean, Costello’s wife, says a police inspector told the family this morning that her common-law partner was among the dead.

McLean says the couple had been together for four years and Costello has two adult daughters from a previous relationship.

The shooting incident began at about 7 a.m. at an apartment complex on Brookside Drive.

Fredericton police have one person in custody who was being treated for serious injuries.

Earlier Friday morning, police were asking people in the area to stay inside with their doors locked, and not to post information on social media about the position or activities of police.

New Brunswick Premier Brian Gallant tweeted his condolences to the victims and their families.

“During this difficult time, our thoughts are also with the courageous women and men on the front lines working to keep us safe,” said Gallant.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau also tweeted about the tragedy: “Awful news coming out of Fredericton. My heart goes out to everyone affected by this morning’s shooting. We’re following the situation closely.”

A timeline of events (AT):

  • 7:07 a.m. Local resident David MacCoubrey is awakened by the sound of three gunshots just outside his bedroom window, followed by 17 more gunshots over the next hour.
  • 7:45 a.m. Nearby resident Travis Hrubeniuk hears a steady stream of police sirens along Brookside Drive.
  • 7:47 a.m. Fredericton police send a tweet cautioning people to avoid the area around Brookside Drive due to an “ongoing incident.”
  • 7:53 a.m. Police advise people living in the area to stay in their homes with doors locked.
  • 8:17 a.m. Police tweet that there has been a shooting that caused “multiple fatalities.”
  • 8:31 a.m. Police confirm that four people have been killed in the incident.
  • 9:45 a.m. Police say they have one suspect in custody but continue to keep the area contained while the investigation continues.
  • 9:49 a.m. New Brunswick Premier Brian Gallant issues condolences to the victims and their families and urges residents to follow police instructions.
  • 10:12 a.m. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau sends a tweet saying his “heart goes out” to everyone affected by the shooting.
  • 10:28 a.m. City police confirm that two of their officers are among those killed.
  • 11:05 a.m. Police lift the lockdown on the area and say there is no further threat to the public.
  • 11:22 a.m. Police tweet that the suspect is being treated for serious injuries related to the shooting.

READ MORE: What people saw and heard during Fredericton shooting

The Canadian Press

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

Terrace death not considered suspicious at this time: RCMP

Body of 49-year-old man was found in wooded area near Olson Ave. March 22

Northwest mobile unit to help those at heart of mental health, addiction crisis

Province, Northern Health unveils new unit in Terrace to bridge gaps in services

Move natural gas pipeline, MP suggests

Coastal GasLink could then avoid opposition

Coastal GasLink violates terms of permit

Tree clearing took place outside Kitimat

Edmonton judge rules Omar Khadr’s sentence has expired

Eight-year sentence imposed in 2010 would have ended last October had Khadr remained in custody

Trudeau sells housing plan in visit to hot real estate market in B.C.

Trudeau said the budget contains measures to help first-time buyers

Norway opens probe into why cruise ship ventured into storm

The Viking Sky was headed for southern Norway when it had engine problems on Saturday afternoon

B.C. river cleanup crew finds bag of discarded sex toys

Chilliwack volunteers stumble on unexpected find while removing 600 lbs of trash from riverway

Fired B.C. farmland commission chair backs NDP rule changes

Richard Bullock agrees with Lana Popham, ALC records don’t

Michael Dunahee’s disappearance remains the largest probe in Victoria police history

The four-year old Victoria boy went missing without a trace on March 24, 1991

Kamloops chamber of commerce director let go after controversial Facebook posts

Facebook account had derogatory comments about Muslims, Justin Trudeau

B.C. RCMP officer cleared after Taser incident seriously injures woman

Woman with knives refused to comply with orders therefore officer used appropriate level of force

‘Bikinishe’ swimwear retailer prompts Better Business Bureau warning

Watchdog has gotten dozens of complaints about company, which has been using fake Vancouver address

Most Read