Bjornson murder suspects plead guilty

A surprise guilty plea has resulted in the cancellation of a murder trial that was scheduled to begin in Prince George later this month.

Fribjon Bjornson

Bill PhillipsBlack Press

 

A surprise guilty plea has resulted in the cancellation of a murder trial that was scheduled to begin in Prince George later this month.

It could also mean the details of Fribjon Bjornson’s death may never be divulged publicly. His severed head was found in a vacant house on Nak’azdli Reserve (which borders Fort St. James) on Feb. 3, 2012. His body has not been found.

On Wednesday, Wesley Dennis Duncan and Jesse Darren Bird pled guilty to second degree murder. They still face charges of indignity to human body. Two others were charged in the case, Teresa Marie Charlie and James David Junior Charlie, still face charges. Teresa Charlie was charged with accessory to murder after the fact and James Charlie with interference with a dead body.

In 2008, Bird was charged with attempted murder, causing bodily harm with a firearm, aggravated assault and a number of firearms charges in relation to a drive-by shooting on Aug. 6 of that year in downtown Prince George. A 19-year-old man in a targeted Lincoln Navigator SUV was seriously injured in a daylight gunfight, which took place in the 400 block of Dominion Street in Prince George. Bird, and two other men, were acquitted of the charges in 2009.

Bjornson was last seen Jan. 12, 2012, leaving a 7-Eleven in Vanderhoof. A house on the reserve was searched following the location of his abandoned truck in the area. Bjornson lived in Vanderhoof but had been working outside of Fort St. James.

There were numerous reports of rumours Bjornson had been killed and tortured during a drug-fuelled party on the reserve.

The alleged location of the party was next door to the abandoned house where his severed head was found.

Bjornson was only 28 years old and the father of two young children.

Bjornson’s parents, Eileen and Fred Bjornson, had gone forward to the press with information people had brought to them of their son’s torture and murder in the basement where the party was going on, but those who told the grieving parents were reportedly too afraid to come forward to the police because they feared reprisals from those involved.

The abandoned house where his head was found was later damaged in a fire and eventually demolished.

Bird and Duncan will likely be sentenced in January while the trials for the charges of accessory and interfering with a human body will go ahead later this month.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Kitamaat women complete the three-peat at All Native

Haisla team unstoppable in final as they rout Hazelton; Adelia Paul back to back MVP

No injuries reported following Kitimat Scotiabank robbery

RCMP release image of man wanted in connection with robbery

Northern Health recommends self-quarantine for people returning from Hubei

The healthcare provider said it isn’t neccessary for healthy children to wear face masks

Wet’suwet’en return to camps near Houston, Coastal GasLink workers move through: First Nation

Opponents of a pipeline who support the Wet’suwet’en hereditary chiefs have reoccupied camps at centre of arrests

Municipal water passes lead tests with flying colours

You may, however, want to test your water at home

VIDEO: Ottawa wants quick, peaceful resolution to pipeline protests, Trudeau says

The protests have manifested themselves as blockades on different rail lines across the country

Canucks acquire forward Tyler Toffoli from Kings in push for playoffs

Vancouver sends Schaller, Madden, pick to L.A.

New highway proposed between Alberta and B.C.

The route would connect Red Deer to Kamloops

Wet’suwet’en and B.C. government have been talking Aboriginal title for a year

Coastal GasLink says it has agreements with all 20 elected First Nations councils along the 670-kilometre route

Trudeau tightlipped on plan to end protests ‘quickly and peacefully’

The prime minister, who cancelled a two-day trip to Barbados this week to deal with the crisis at home

B.C. budget expected to stay the course as economic growth moderates

Finance minister said ICBC costs have affected budget

Canadian standards for coronavirus protection to be reviewed, health agency says

The protocols set out how health workers should protect themselves and their patients

Monday marks one-year anniversary of man missing from Langley

42-year-old B.C. man, Searl Smith, was last seen leaving Langley Memorial Hospital on Feb. 17, 2019

BC Ferries sailings filling up Family Day Monday

More than 20 sailings added between Swartz Bay and Tsawwassen for long weekend

Most Read