Facebook

Updated: B.C. family devastated by house fire yet to see raised GoFundMe money

After losing his wife in a house fire, Michael Van Gool said he still hasn’t received the money

Update: 4:30 p.m.

Bill Henthorn responded to interview requests from the Capital News by sending a Facebook statement.

In it, he said the GoFundMe raised $12,400 and ended June 29, and the account was set up to transfer to an account attached to his profile. Henthorn said TD Bank transfered the money from that account to cover a transaction in his personal account.

Henthorn said the CRA then seized the money from his account to pay a tax debt and had to take out a loan to secure the money for Van Gool. He said he is also dealing with a personal health issue.

He said the money has been deposited to Van Gool’s friend’s account, but the account was placed on hold, and it will most likely be available to Van Gool mid week.

Emails have been sent to the Canadian Revenue Agency.

Original:

After losing their loved one in a house fire in March, a Kelowna family still hasn’t seen a cent of the money raised from a GoFundMe for them, created by a local man.

Michael Van Gool’s wife Loree Dubuque died in the fire. At the time, a GoFundMe was set up to raise money for the family.

READ MORE: Money being raised for family of Kelowna fire victim

But Van Gool said he has yet to receive the $10,000 that was raised and is considering his legal options.

“It’s getting to the point that nothing surprises me anymore,” Van Gool said.

He said Bill Henthorn, who started the GoFundMe page, promised to send the money to Van Gool’s friend, but the transfer was frozen. The GoFundMe ended in June, he said.

“I feel sorry for the 129 people that helped me out, I kind of feel guilty,” he said.

The fire destroyed his home, but he managed to find a rental with his two sons in Rutland while it’s being rebuilt. It has the bare necessities and furniture, and BBQs have been held for him as fundraisers and a bike and helmet were donated to his son, he said. Compared to the one individual, “thousands of people have helped out,” he said.

READ MORE: Bottle drive held for Kelowna fire victim’s family

He wants the GoFundMe creator to be held accountable for his actions, and he would like GoFundMe to have tougher verification policies, he said.

“I find it to be too much of a loose cannon,” he said, adding he doesn’t think it’s the website’s fault. If there was a GoFundMe set up to support someone who lost their family, he would donate to it, but would take precautions to verify the family, he said.

“The accounts have to be registered to the person the moment it’s opened up or something,” Van Gool said.

The GoFundMe’s creator Bill Henthorn spoke to the Capital News in a previous interview in March, saying he started the GoFundMe because he wanted to help.

Kelowna resident Angela Weber originally sent letters to the media last week about her concerns with the GoFundMe and Weber and a group of other mothers were part of a Springvalley Elementary school bottle drive that supported Van Gool, she said. Weber’s children also go to the school with Van Gool’s.

“(Bill Henthorn)’s always had an excuse on why he couldn’t get the money to Mike. He fell ill, his niece was missing. It was always something to why he couldn’t go to the bank,” she said. “Bill Heathorn has deposited the money into one (our accounts) and we can’t access the money as it’s been flagged for fraud.”

Weber watched the GoFundMe raise more than $10,000 in June and began asking about it in July, she said.

“I can confirm that we are looking into this and have reached out to the campaign organizer for more information. We will make sure the Van Gool family receives the funds raised on their behalf. All GoFundMe campaigns are backed by the GoFundMe Guarantee, which ensures that all funds go to the right places,” said an email from Rachel Hollis at GoFundMe.

The GoFundMe’s page said if funds aren’t delievered to the right person, the website will donate the amount.

Messages sent to Henthorn’s Facebook page Thursday and Saturday requesting an interview were unanswered as of Saturday, Aug. 25.

Emails have been sent to the RCMP for comment.

@carliberry_
carli.berry@kelownacapnews.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

B.C. Legions in need of young members to continue aiding veterans into the future

Lest we forget what thousands of men and women did to fight for Canada’s freedoms – but without new membership, many Legion chapters face dwindling numbers

Kitimat commits itself to the global fight against polio

Mayor Phil Germuth signs a proclamation

$2 million landfill capping complete

The purpose is to minimize potential leaching of contaminants from the site.

Pipeline company urges rejection of many seeking intervener status in jurisdictional hearings

Those seeking to participate include District of Kitimat and Haisla Nation

North Coast figure skater to star in Dancing On Ice

Carlotta Edwards learned to skate in Prince Rupert, before becoming a star with millions of viewers

VIDEO: Amazon to split second HQ between New York, Virginia

Official decision expected later Tuesday to end competition between North American cities to win bid and its promise of 50,000 jobs

Around the BCHL: Surrey Eagles sliding and Cassidy Bowes flows

Around the BCHL is a look at what’s happening in the league and around the junior A world.

Pit bull cross, chihuahua owners must split costs for dogfight damage, judge rules

Eac side responsible for $577.43 towards injuries in Comox Valley incident

3 random words mark every spot on earth

Innovative mapping system assigns three word combinations to 57 trillion 3 metre squares

Most fatal overdose victims did not have recent police contact: Stats Canada

11 per cent of those who fatally overdosed in B.C. had four or more contacts with the police

Calgarians head to the polls to declare ‘yea’ or ‘nay’ on Winter Games

The question “are you for or are you against hosting the 2026 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games?” was to be posed to them Tuesday in a plebiscite to help determine whether the city should move ahead with a bid.

Heir’s big birthday: 70 candles lined up for Prince Charles

Prince Charles turns 70 Wednesday, Nov. 14, 2018, still serving in the heir to the throne role he has filled since he was a young child.

Trudeau lays down challenge to companies in bid to boost trade with Asia

“Building the relationships, building the connections, building the facility and also changing mindsets — getting Canadian companies to see the opportunities we have around the world to partner and invest.”

CNN sues Trump, demanding return of Acosta to White House

CNN is asking for an immediate restraining order to return Acosta to the White House.

Most Read